History of the House
Nearly 150 years of history of our house and the land on which it sits. All the pdf documents will download when you click on the links.
Part of the land brought by Susan Sumpster plus a little bit of Manor Farm.
Mortgage taken out by Susan and Bertha Sumpster to build Bridge House.
On the day of the census Arthur Urban Sumpster, Edgar William Sumpster and Rose Ellis (a maid) were living here. There is no mention of Susan because she was staying at a boarding house with Bertha in Southsea that day.
Indenture between Edward Bull and Richard William Mason (the Trustees) and Susan Sumpster (the Purchaser) and James Chomley Russell and Amelia Gully to buy a strip of land to the north.
Miss Bertha Sumpster sells the house to Richard Alexander Garrett.
6 people in the house on 24 April: Richard Garrett and his wife and son, a boarder and two visitors.
Arthur Sumpster dies. He had moved up the hill to 29 Grosvenor Road after Bridge House was sold in 1921.
Brought by Dennis William Saunders
Dennis sells Bridge House to Kenneth and Colleen Ginsburg.
Granny Flat conversion
Mr RK Freer and Miss CA Hillery buy the freehold.
Request to convert into 5 flats rejected
Request to convert the house into 6 flats rejected:
Request to convert into 4 flat accepted
Bridge House Management Company formed and leases issued.
Paul and Maureen Beves buy the Bridge House
We buy the freehold